The Work-Life Balance


I recently started a new job. My morning commute ranges from 1-1.5 hours (30-40 mins if I leave super early in the morning). With the long commute (and the associated stress from traffic) and the daily demands from work, I find it hard to stay sane. Especially the past few weeks, I found myself more irritable, losing my patience, frustrated, ...., and ultimately, just plain selfish.

This stress has affected every area of my life, including family, relationships, and my spiritual life. I thought I would be immune to it all and could smile my way through life. Turns out that the pursuit of happiness is not immune to life's harsh realities.

I cannot change my current work situation, but I am starting to discover (and rediscover) how I can change my mind (renewing my mind, Romans 12:1-2). Physical health plays a key role in my mental and emotional well-being. To illustrate, here's a reflection from today.
I was tired and stressed from work and relationships. I've been coming home the past few days, caring for no one else other than myself. I was selfish and grumpy. Today was no exception. Before heading to my company's Christmas party that evening, I decided to head to the gym. I didn't have much time so I figured I would do Fran. While I had a slow time (12:21), I was working so hard during the workout that I didn't have the mental space to think about my work or relational stress. I took a refreshing shower and sat meditatively in the steam room. My thoughts were clearing and the storms in my heart were passing. I arrived at the party excited and full of energy. Even though I knew working out would help, I didn't really know. 4-Dimensional Fitness is much more important than I had imagined. I have been spending so much time on one area of fitness and neglected the other dimensions of my life. Each area of my life is just as important. Body. Mind. Heart. Spirit. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit